When I learned about Women’s March in NYC this past Saturday (January 21, 2017), I did not hesitate a minute. I knew I had to attend. I didn’t know anyone else who was going, but that did not stop me. I just had to go.
I am not a US citizen. I live in the US, but my true home is somewhere else, in the Czech Republic.
So why to bother?
It really is very simple. I am a communist oppression survivor. For the first 16 years and 6 months of my life:
- I did NOT have freedom to SPEAK
- I did NOT have freedom to TRAVEL
- I did NOT have free access to literature and INFORMATION of my choice
- I did NOT have freedom to choose my RELIGIOUS BELIEFS
- I did NOT have freedom to choose my POLITICAL BELIEFS
- I did NOT have freedom to STUDY what I wanted
My basic human rights were taken away from me. And so were from other 15 million citizens of the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic.
I know on my own skin how it feels to be oppressed, humiliated and controlled.
Recent rhetoric of the past election cycle in the US has threatened many different groups in the US and their rights. Their safety. Their dignity.
And so my emergency radar is ON.
I have not forgotten the pain of those 16 years.
As an acctress America Ferrera said in her opening speech at March on Washington:
„Our freedom is on a chopping block.“
At any time, I can pack my few belongings and be back in Prague in few hours. Away from the sad reality here in the US.
But I am not going to do that.
We Are All Connected
- I AM the disabled journalist mocked by Donald Trump. This attack is attack on me.
- I AM the ‘nasty woman’ Hillary Clinton was called by Mr. Trump. This attack is attack on me.
- I AM the pussy Mr. Trump grabs freely. This attack is attack on me.
I truly believe what John Donne wrote in 1624:
„Never send to know whom the bell tolls.
It tolls for you.“
The bell rings now for all of us.
I heard it.
And so I marched.
As Master Soul Coach and Certified Feng Shui Practitioner, she inspires how to see your life and home with different eyes and how to turn them into what you truly desire.
She is a founder of Škola Harmonie. Born and raised in Czechoslovakia, Blanka now lives in Montclair, New Jersey.
Read other posts: